star trek feast
so my boyfriend tom is a nerd. it’s not a secret and i love him more for it. 🙂 the movie star trek premiered recently and so i decided to create tom a feast fit for a, well, star trekkie.
my research started via google, which led me to this site. star trek: tng is one of our favorite tv shows. i found things like banana splits and earl grey tea, hot. not much to base a meal off of. i boldly went further into federation space and decided to explore the klingon empire. they have lots of gross looking food, but that’s the kind of food that can be really fun to make. so, without further adieu, behold scrag and gagh:
scrag is the roasted haunch of the animal garbat, marinated in it’s own blood and served with ten different spices. it is one of the finest achievements of klingon culinary arts. obviously, i can’t make kitt travel at warp speed and jump over to klingon territory to pick up garbat, so i created a meal based on tera’ngan ingredients. it is shown above with andorian ale (wheat ale, goose island brewing co., chicago) and a small loaf of multi-grain bread.
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed of all visible fat
- 4 -8 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp evoo
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- juice of four lemons
- 2 onions, chopped coarsely
- 2 zucchini, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 c baby carrots
- 1 1/2 lb. small red potatoes
- paprika (use the hungarian kind)
- preheat oven to 500°.
- using a tip of the knife, cut small slits all over the lamb. wedge the garlic slices into the lamb, using as much (or as little) as you like. rub the lamb with evoo, salt, pepper. place the lamb in a large roasting pan, squeeze the juice of two lemons over the lamb.
- arrange the veggies around the lamb, season them to taste with paprika, add 1/4″ water to the roasting pan.
- roast lamb and vegetables in the oven for 30 minutes at 500°. turn oven down to 300°, roast lamb and veggies for an additional 2.5 – 3 hours. continue to baste with juices and additional lemon juice until a meat thermometer reaches 160º.
- serve the shanks whole on the plate, with additional veggies, bread and andorian ale.
really, i am not a fan of lamb because of it’s texture and strong flavor. i think that the next time i try to re-create scrag, i’ll stick with good ole chicken. the lemony flavor works well with both the veggies and the chicken.
gagh is a klingon delicacy – unprocessed serpent worms. klingons prefer to eat them live, i prefer to eat them for dessert.
- gummy worms
- hershey’s chocolate syrup
- in a bowl, coat the gummy worms with chocolate syrup
- serve in a martini glass