sausage, biscuits and gravy
this is another tom dish. he has been hungry for sausage, biscuits and gravy for a while. last week, he got his wish. 🙂
- 4 c self-rising flour*
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2/3 c shortening
- 2 c buttermilk
- 1/4 c buttermilk
* an alternate for self rising flour would be: 4 c all-purpose flour, 2 tsp salt, and 2 tsp baking powder, in addition to the 1 tbsp baking powder that’s already called for.
- preheat oven to 400°. lightly grease two baking sheets.
- in a large mixing bowl, combine flower, sugar and baking powder; stir well. cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. add 2 c buttermilk and mix just to moisten.
- roll out dough to 1″ thick and cut into biscuits. place biscuits on prepared baking sheets; brush tops with remaining 1/4 c buttermilk.
- bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- you can freeze these biscuits, after they have been cut, on a baking sheet in the freezer. after they are frozen, place in a freezer safe bag. when you need biscuits, unthaw and bake.
sausage gravy (start making this after the biscuits go in the oven)
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage (i prefer bob evans, and it’s hard to find in tn!)
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 4 c milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- in a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the sausage for 10 min, or until browned. stir in the margarine until well blended, then stir in flour until mixture is thick and pasty.
- reduce heat to medium low and slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly and to desired consistency. season with salt and pepper to taste.