sausage ala vodka
coming down from the holiday sugar buzz… 🙂
here’s a dish that’s simple to make for dinner tonight!
this is what you will need:
- one package sausage of your choice, sliced into bite size pieces. tom likes cajun style andouille. i like sweet mild italian sausage. the choice is entirely up to you.
- 2 heaping cups of uncooked pasta. i like to use penne pasta.
- 1 green bell pepper sliced in strips and cut in half
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 c vodka
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 pint heavy cream
- in a large pan, saute onions in butter until soft and slightly brown. pour in vodka and let cook for 10 minutes. mix in crushed tomatoes and italian seasoning; cook for 30 minutes. pour in heavy cream and let cook for 30 minutes.
- after you pour in the cream, start to boil the water for pasta and begin to cook the sausage. once the sausage is cooked, add some evoo to the pan and saute the peppers with the sausage.
- when 10 minutes are left with the sauce, start to boil your pasta per the directions on the box.
- when the sauce is finished (!) stir in sausage and green pepper.
- strain and plate pasta. pour desired amount of sausage ala vodka overtop of pasta.
- top with grated parmesan cheese
there is plenty of sauce, sausage and peppers leftover for later, so i will save it and boil fresh pasta on leftover night!