salsa chicken rice casserole
the jury is still out on this dish. tom likes it. i like it. i think that more could be added to it to give it some “oomph”. next time, i may cut down on the amount of rice. or grill the chicken and saute the vegetables in the pan with the chicken. but all in all it is pretty tasty. it has even passed the leftover test!
- 1 1/3 c uncooked white rice
- 2 2/3 c water
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 c shredded cheese (i had to cut back from the original recipe… shocker!)
- 1 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 c mild salsa
- place rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 min.
- meanwhile, place chicken breast halves into a large saucepan, and fill the pan with water. bring to a boil, and cook for 20 min., or until done. remove chicken from water. when cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- preheat oven to 350°. lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- in a large bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, onion, red pepper and salsa. layer 1/2 of the rice, 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the soup and salsa mixture and 1/2 of the cheese mixture in prepared dish. repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- bake in preheated oven for about 40 min., or until bubbly.