we love to order chinese food from corner asian cafe, a restaurant just down the road. they always give us a ton of delicious food, which makes for at least two meals. i always order white rice to go with my mu shu chicken and never eat it. i finally found the perfect use for it!
this pudding rivals my favorite pudding from dilly deli in auburn hills. it is creamy and very simple to make. you can add raisins, if you’d like, but it is also good plain.
- 2 c leftover white rice
- 2 c milk, divided
- 1/3 c white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- in a medium saucepan, combine rice, 1 1/2 c milk, sugar and salt. whisk over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15-20 mins.
- stir in remaining 1/2 c milk and egg. temper the egg before adding it to the pudding.
- cook 2 mins more, whisking constantly.
- remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- serve warm or refrigerate and serve cool.