the super bowl is just around the corner, and these definitely need to find a spot on your spread. they’re basically a dinner roll, made with pizza dough and filled with cheese and pepperoni. i tried a new pizza dough recipe for this, and the key ingredient is honey. it’s a different dough than my chicago style dough, but it is perfect for rolls. next time i want to add a bit of rosemary to change things up.
slightly adapted from: the doctor’s kitchen
- 1 c warm water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 packet yeast
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- mozzarella cheese, cubed
- pepperoni slices
- evoo, to top rolls
- italian seasoning, to top rolls
- parmesan cheese, to top rolls
- combine honey and warm water in a bowl. sprinkle with yeast and allow to foam.
- put flour in a bowl and stir yeast mixture in. add oil and salt, in the end.
- put mixture on a floured surface, and knead for ten minutes, until smooth.
- oil dough ball and place in a covered glass bowl. allow to rise until doubled, for about two hours.
- when ready to make rolls, pre-heat oven to 400°.
- divide dough into twelve equal parts.
- fill each ball with a cube of mozzarella cheese.
- seal dough around the cheese and place seam side down, in a pie dish. repeat for remaining dough.
- combine oil and spices and brush over dough. sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- allow to rise again, for another 3o min.
- bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes. serve with warm pizza sauce or ranch dressing.