pear and greens salad
moving to a healthier part of thanksgiving 2010 🙂
the spiced pecans in this salad are very similar to the ones served at maniac’s. be sure to make extra of these, because you’ll want to munch on them! they store really well in the fridge, after cooling.
adapted slightly from about.com
for the salad:
- 1 package of mixed greens
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- 1/2 c spiced pecans
- 1/2 c crumbled feta (or bleu cheese)
- 1 recipe celery seed dressing
- place salad greens in a large serving bowl, followed by feta, pecans and pears. toss with dressing or serve on the side, whichever you prefer.
for 4 cups of pecans:
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp ground red pepper
- 4 c pecan halves
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 tsp salt
- pre-heat oven to 300°.
- melt butter in a microwave safe bowl, stir in cumin, red pepper, sugar and salt. fold in pecans, stirring to coat.
- spread pecans in a single layer on a jellyroll pan.
- bake for 20 min., stirring occasionally. cool and store in an airtight container.
for the dressing:
- 1/2 c oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- blend ingredients well in a dressing shaker.