i was so pleased with the outcome of my kung pao chicken, i decided to try my hand at another asian dish. one of the mall food court variety. i really liked the sauce and the chicken coating. it is shown above, served on a bed of white rice with egg rolls, fresh from the freezer section. 🙂
- 1 1/2 c water
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1/3 c rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pour 1 1/2 c water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar and soy sauce into a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. stir in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped onion and red pepper flakes. bring to a boil. remove from heat, and cool 10 to 15 minutes.
- place the chicken pieces into a resealable bag. when contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 c of sauce into bag. reserve the remaining sauce. seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- in another resealable bag, mix the flour, salt and pepper. add the marinated chicken pieces, seal the bag and shake to coat.
- heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. place the chicken in the skillet and brown on both sides. drain on a plate lined with paper towels and cover with aluminum foil.
- wipe out skillet and add the sauce. bring to a boil over medium-high heat. mix together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp water; stir into the sauce. reduce heat to medium low, add the chicken pieces and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.