mountain dew cupcakes
so this guy named paul often comes over to our apartment and more times than not, raids the mountain dew in the fridge. it was paul’s birthday last week and to celebrate, i made up a batch of mountain dew cupcakes. i thought it was the only appropriate way to celebrate such a cool guy. 🙂
happy birthday, paul! 🙂
adapted slightly from slush
cupcakes (makes 1 dozen)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c mountain dew
- juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime
- zest from 1 lemon and 2 limes (separated into two piles)
- 3/4 tsp orange extract
- 1 1/3 c flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- beat butter on medium for 30 seconds.
- add sugar and zests. beat on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- add eggs one at a time, scrape sides of bowl in between additions.
- whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. add to mixer bowl. turn on low for 5 seconds.
- add the mountain dew, lemon and lime juice and orange extract. mix to combine.
- scoop into cupcake liners until 2/3 full.
- bake for 18-20 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.
mountain dew buttercream frosting (be prepared to eat this by the spoonful)
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 2-3 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp mountain dew
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- lemon and lime zest from second pile (above)
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- yellow and green food coloring
- beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy.
- add half of the sugar, mix until blended.
- add the mountain dew, zest and orange extract. beat until combined.
- add food coloring to the desired color (i did 2 drops each of yellow and green.)
- gradually add remaining sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like. (i prefer to beat frosting on high until it is light and fluffy.)
- frost cupcakes, by placing 2 tbsp of frosting on each cupcake and smoothing with an icing knife.