this dish is a hybrid of mexican food and italian. it was another pinterest find and it has definitely found a permanent spot on our dinner rotation! i originally halved the recipe (as shown in the pics below) but now make a full batch, because it is great for lunch leftovers.
source: the way to his heart
- 1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 6-8 oz. cream cheese
- 16 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 1/2 c salsa
- 1 c taco sauce
- 1 c cheddar cheese
- 1 c pepper jack cheese
- garnish (green onions, sour cream, olives, onions)
- preheat oven to 350°.
- in a large pot, bring water to a boil for shells.
- in a medium pan, brown the ground beef, drain and add taco seasoning. cook according to package directions. add cream cheese and stir until cheese is melted and evenly distributed. set aside and allow to cool.
- when water reaches a boil, add shells and cook, according to package directions. drain and rinse with cool water. lay shells out individually, so they do not stick together.
- pour salsa into the bottom of a 9×13″ basking dish.
- stuff each shell with the meat mixture. place the shells in the pan, open side up.
- cover shells with taco sauce. cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- after 30 mins, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 additional minutes, with the foil removed. garnish with any condiments/veggies you’d like.