mac and cheese dog casserole
maddie and jess here…
this is a delicious treat and makes you feel like you’re right at the ballpark.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 package hot dogs, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c beer or chicken broth
- 2 c milk
- 1 rounded tbsp spicy mustard
- 2 rounded tbsp ketchup
- 3 c cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- boil large pot of water for macaroni. salt water and cook macaroni, cook about 7 minutes until just under al dente in doneness.
- preheat broiler and set rack 12 inches from heat.
- heat a large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, then add hot dogs and brown on both sides, 4 minutes total. remove the dogs with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
- add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, and the butter. when butter melts, cook onions 4 to 5 minutes, then add flour and cook another minute.
- add beer and cook off completely, 1 minute. whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, then season the sauce with salt and pepper and stir in the mustard and ketchup.
- lower heat and add 2 cups of the cheese. stir to melt, 1 minute. Adjust mustard, ketchup, and salt and pepper, to your taste.
- drain pasta well. combine pasta and hot dogs with sauce and coat evenly then pour into large casserole and top with remaining cheese.
- melt and brown cheese under broiler, 2 minutes.
courtesy of: rachaelray.com