tom is a HUGE fan of meatloaf. i hate meatloaf. i’m just not a beef fan. however, my mom learned this trick a long time ago… if you dress up meatloaf to smell like pizza and add cheese, i’ll eat it! so i created an italian meatloaf all of my very own. 🙂
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. italian sausage
- 3/4 c cracker crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 med. onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 c pizza sauce
- 1/2 med. bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 lb. deli ham
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- mix the first eleven ingredients together in a large bowl. reserve half of the sauce.
- on a large sheet of wax paper, or cookie sheet, pat meat to a 9.5″ x 13″ rectangle. arrange a layer of ham on rectangle, cover with half of the shredded cheese leaving a small portion of meatloaf exposed at one end of the rectangle. roll the meatloaf towards the exposed end. tightly seal edges and place seam side down in a meatloaf pan.
- brush top with remaining pizza sauce.
- bake for 1 hour 15 minutes at 375°. When ten minutes remain, cover with remaining cheese and finish baking.