i’ve mentioned this before, but breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. (i have a lot of food favorites.) 🙂 yesterday, tom and i made a wickedkillersweet breakfast with hash browns and breakfast burritos. tom made the burritos and i made the hash browns. it was a great way to start out the day!
before i get into the hash browns, tom’s burritos consisted of ground breakfast sausage, green peppers, and cheese scrambled with eggs, wrapped up in a tortilla. with a side of salsa, they were delicious!
- 3 c shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 c oil for frying, or as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- place ingredients in a bowl and toss until evenly distributed.
- heat about 1/4″ of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. when the oil is hot, place potatoes into the pan in a 1/2″ thick layer. i made patties in a slotted spoon and placed them in the oil. cook until nicely browned on the bottom, then flip over and brown on the other side. it should take about 5 min on each side. if you’re cooking them in one big piece, it can be cut into quarters for easy flipping.
- remove from pan, drain on paper towels, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with ketchup.