chicken zucchini bake
zucchini was on sale at publix a few weeks ago. i get a lot of from the sale ads which incidentally, makes tom happy because i spend less on groceries each week. thinking about zucchini took me back to summer and out of the icy winter that we’ve been having down here in nashville. so i found this recipe online.
it’s a recipe that needs a bit of tweaking, but was pretty tasty for a first try.
slightly adapted from: allrecipes.com
- 1 8 oz. can refridgerated crescent rolls
- 2 tbsp honey mustard
- 2 c sliced zucchini
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/8 c butter
- 2 c cooked, shredded chicken meat
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- preheat oven to 350°.
- open the can of crescent rolls, unroll the dough and place the dough into the bottom of a 9″ x 9″ baking pan. do not separate the rolls. press the edges of the dough up the sides of the pan to make a crust, spread the honey mustard over the dough.
- place the zucchini and a few tbsp of water into a saucepan over medium heat, cover and bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium low, and cook the zucchini until tender, about 15. min. drain and set the zucchini aside.
- place the onion in a large skillet with butter over medium heat, and cook and stir until the onion is translucent, 5-8 min. stir the cooked zucchini and chicken into the onion and mix well. let the mixture heat for about 5 min., stirring occasionally. spread the zucchini mixture in an even layer over the crust.
- in a bowl, beat the eggs with milk and seasonings; pour the egg mixture over the zucchini. sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- bake until the egg mixture is set and the cheese is browned and bubbling, about 20 min. broil if needed.