chicken tacadillas w/ roasted corn pico de gallo
i am a big fan of rachael ray… and was very excited recently to watch her in the mornings on some extended time off from work. this was one of the recipes that she featured… which included fish. it almost made me want to try the recipe as it was. however, i chickened out (no pun intended) and the voice of reason in my head (tom :)) said to go for the chicken. so here is my version of the recipe, slightly adapted from the original. this recipe also includes a bonus recipe for pico de gallo!
- 4 small vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped (leave the seeds in for more heat!)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- a small handful of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 bag of steamed corn from a bag (in the freezer section)
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- vegetable oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 c shredded low-fat mexican blend cheese from the bag
- 12 soft flour tortillas
- pre-heat a non-stick large pan over medium heat.
- combine tomatoes, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, salt and 1 tsp of lime zest and the juice of one lime.
- coat the corn with a liberal drizzle of vegetable oil. season with salt and pepper. cook the corn in the pan for 10-15 min. or until the kernels begin to darken in spots. remove the corn from the pan, allow to cool. fold into the tomato mixture.
- in the same pan, cook the chicken sprinkling each side with salt, pepper and paprika until cooked through. shred the chicken using a knife and fork.
- heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in the same non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a tortilla. warm the tortilla, then flip it over and sprinkle with shredded cheese; scatter some fish and pico on half of the tortilla and fold over. cook the taco for 1-2 min on each side to melt the cheese. repeat with the remaining tortillas, keeping the tacos warm in the oven on a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet until ready to serve.
- serve with a garnish of additional pico, guacamole, sour cream.