blueberry orange muffins
in honor of the last regular season michigan game today, i’m blogging about blueberry citrus muffins. blueberry, for michigan (duh, right?) and orange, in hopes of a good bowl game to watch on january 1!
these muffins are a perfect balance of citrus and sweet. something i’d like to try for next time would be to add a crunchy crumble topping, because no blueberry muffin is complete without it. 🙂
- grated zest of one orange
- juice of one orange
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 c butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 c sugar
- 2 c flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c blueberries
- decorating sugar or crumble topping, optional
- pre-heat the oven to 400°. line a regular size muffin pan with liners.
- pour the orange juice into a large pyrex liquid measuring cup (think 4 cup sized) and then add enough buttermilk to make 1 cup. whisk in eggs, honey and melted butter. set aside.
- in a large bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together, using your fingers, until the sugar is moist and you can smell oranges. in the orange sugar mixture, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir them together, using the same whisk. the batter will be lumpy and that is ok. stir in the blueberries and then divide the batter evenly among your muffin cups.
- bake for 22-25 minutes. muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of them comes out clean. allow to cool in the pan on a rack for 5 min.